This ad is expired.
Assistant Director for Experiential Learning & Outdoor Adventures
Requisition Number: 20122383
Type of Employment: Full-Time Regular
Number of Months:
Number of Hours per Day/Week: 40
Campus Recreation & Wellness provides quality recreational and educational experiences designed to positively impact the development of Elon students and contribute to the wellness of the campus community. The assistant director is an essential member of the Campus Recreation & Wellness professional team and provides daily management of a challenge course and outdoor adventure trips and equipment rental program. The assistant director also serves as a program coordinator for a first-year summer experience (Adventures in Leadership). This is a full-time, 12-month position, reporting to the Associate Director of Campus Recreation & Wellness for Recreation Programs & Facilities with a secondary reporting relationship to the Director of the Center for Leadership.
Benefits of Working at Elon University
As an Elon University employee, you'll join an internationally acclaimed university with a commitment to fostering a thriving community. Ranked among the most innovative, creative and best-run universities in the nation, Elon's personal approach to education extends to employees, whose growth, professional development and success is a hallmark of our training and advancement opportunities.
Elon University's home is the charming town of Elon, North Carolina, a small, friendly community located a short distance from the beach and the mountains, and among the vibrant cities of Greensboro, Raleigh and Durham. In addition to the beautiful canopy of historic oak trees iconic to our campus, you'll find boundless opportunities for family-friendly recreation, cultural events and outdoor activities. Hiking, water sports, fine dining and entertainment are just a few of the many happenings in the Elon area, making the region one of the nation's premier travel destinations.
Employees at Elon enjoy a generous and comprehensive benefits package that includes:
Eligibility for tuition remission at Elon for spouses, qualifying domestic partners and dependents begins at three years of service. After four years of employment, eligibility begins for participation in the Tuition Exchange, a national scholarship exchange program that enables dependents to enroll in nationally recognized partner colleges and universities.
Elon values and celebrates the diverse backgrounds, cultures, experiences and perspectives of our community members. As an equal opportunity employer, Elon's principles of diversity extend to race and gender identity, age, disability status, veteran status, sexual orientation, religion, and other aspects of one's identity. At Elon, our employees respect human differences, passion for lifelong learning, emphasis on personal integrity and an ethic of service.
Bachelors degree required and at least 2 years of post-bachelors experience required. Completed masters degree in higher education, experiential education, recreation, sport management, health, physical education, or related field preferred.
Length of Experience:
Supervisory Experience: Yes
Supervisory Experience Detail
Special Skills or Experience
Special Instructions to Applicants
Posting Date: 09/28/2022
Open Until Filled: Yes
General Purpose of Position
The assistant director is an essential member of the Campus Recreation & Wellness professional team and provides daily management of a challenge course and outdoor adventure trips and equipment rental program. The assistant director also serves as a program coordinator for a first-year summer experience (Adventures in Leadership). This is a full-time, 12-month position, reporting to the Associate Director of Campus Recreation & Wellness for Recreation Programs & Facilities with a secondary reporting relationship to the Director of the Center for Leadership.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Direct Elon Outdoors, a comprehensive outdoor adventure trips and equipment rental program
- Direct the Elon Challenge, which includes leadership of a comprehensive leadership and team development program and management and maintenance of a low- and high-ropes challenge course and associated equipment
- Partner with Center for Leadership staff to coordinate first-year summer experience (FSE) programs for incoming students
- Supervise and evaluate student employees in programmatic areas of oversight
- Oversee the management and maintenance of all equipment utilized for rentals and trips
- Work collaboratively with the Center for Leadership to infuse leadership education theories and programs into Elon Challenge and FSE content, curriculum, programming, and assessment
- Assist in the development and management of program budgets
- Coordinate departmental safety and risk management efforts, including student employee certifications, document retention, and safety data sheets for all program areas
- Maintain a positive, safe, and inclusive environment in all programs and facilities
- Work collaboratively with colleagues in Campus Recreation & Wellness, Center for Leadership the Division of Student Life, and across Elon University to provide quality recreational and developmental experiences for students
- Foster positive relationships on and off campus to promote Campus Recreation & Wellness and the Center for Leadership
- Continuously assess programs, policies, and processes to improve overall program quality
- Serve on departmental, divisional, and institutional committees and work groups as assigned
- Assist in the development and implementation of the Campus Recreation & Wellness and Center for Leadership strategic plans and departmental/divisional/institutional priorities
- Serve as a member of a Student Life Care and Response Team, which includes either serving in a rotational on-call emergency response role or providing initial outreach and follow-up support for student concerns.
- May include occasional evening and weekend work requirements
- Serve on university, divisional, or departmental committees, task forces, and search committees
- Other duties and projects as assigned
Education and Experience
Required qualifications include:
- Completed bachelors degree
- Certification in American Red Cross CPR/AED/First Aid
- Certification in Wilderness First Responder
- Valid drivers license
- Completed masters degree in higher education, experiential education, recreation, sport management, health, physical education, or related field
- 1-2 years of experience (including graduate assistantships/apprenticeships) in collegiate recreation, adventure-based learning, or a related functional area in higher education is strongly preferred
- Instructor certification in American Red Cross CPR/AED/First Aid, Wilderness Remote First Aid, and Leave No Trace
- Nationally recognized kayak/canoe certification
Does this position require driving for the university? Yes
To apply, visit https://elon.peopleadmin.com/postings/9027
Elon University is an equal employment opportunity employer committed to a diverse faculty, staff and student body and welcomes all applicants.
Elon University has built a national reputation as a premier student-centered arts and sciences university that values strong relationships between students and their faculty and staff mentors. Elon is ranked among the top-100 National Universities by U.S. News & World Report, with a No. 1 ranking for excellence in undergraduate teaching and No. 9 for innovation. Global engagement is central to Elons experience and the Institute of International Education has ranked the institution No. 1 in the nation for study abroad for 16 straight years. In addition, Elon is the only university in the nation ranked in the top-20 by U.S. News for excellence in all eight academic programs "Focused on Student Success." Elons more than 7,000 students prepare to become the resilient, ambitious and ethical leaders the world needs, putting their knowledge into action on campus, in the community and around the globe.
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency